The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

11/26/11

Well, it's that time of year again. The malls have started playing Christmas music again, and I saw a guy buying a tree last night, which means it's time for us to start feeling some holiday cheer. And I'm not, like, leading into a rant about consumerism here or anything. I love Christmas. Christmas is rad. I mean, yeah, you read about people who mace or shank people at Wal-Mart, but fuck them, they're crazy. Christmas isn't about shopping (although I did snag a very nice piece from Banana Republic).

It's supposed to be about Christ, hence the name, but it's become secularized of late, and some people don't like that, but I'm fine with it. I don't complain about much. I'm a pessimist, but I'm not a cynic. Because now, it's really just about being happy. It's about cozying up with your family and giving and getting and tradition and food and all sorts of other sweet things. It's about community and snow and those little model villages and trees and baubles and cream-colored ponies and crisp apple strudels and doorbells and sleigh bells and schnitzel with noodles and - well, you get the idea.

You know what else it's about? Movies. That's kind of the point I was trying to lead into. Now, I like Christmas, and I like movies, and because I'm such a sentimental bastard, that means I like Christmas movies. So, this month, I'm going to try something. You know those advent calendars? Where every day of December, leading up to Christmas, you open a flap on this cardboard rectangle and reveal a little piece of chocolate? Which you then eat? I'm going to do something like that. But with Christmas movies. Every day of December I'll watch a different one. This pretty much serves as a "Best Christmas Movies" list, by the way, except for Legion, which sucks. I've arranged them in a very specific order, in order to achieve maximum Yuletide cheer.

December 1st:    A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas
December 2nd:   Home Alone
December 3rd:    Batman Returns (definitely counts)
December 4th:    Babes in Toyland (1934)
December 5th:    Better Off Dead
December 6th:    Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (totally counts)
December 7th:    Legion
December 8th:    Frosty the Snowman (1969)
December 9th:    About a Boy
December 10th:  National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
December 11th:  Diner
December 12th:  The Year Without a Santa Claus (1974)
December 13th:  Die Hard 2: Die Harder (obviously counts)
December 14th:  3 Godfathers (1948)
December 15th:  The Nightmare Before Christmas
December 16th:  A Charlie Brown Christmas
December 17th:  In Bruges (kinda counts)
December 18th:  Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (1964)
December 19th:  How the Grinch Stole Christmas! (1966)
December 20th:  Love Actually
December 21st:  Catch Me if You Can (still counts)
December 22nd: It's a Wonderful Life
December 23rd:  Miracle on 34th Street (1947)
December 24th:  A Christmas Story
December 25th:  Die Hard (duh)

No comments:

Post a Comment