Wikipedia Wednesdays - Stanisławów, Świętokrzyskie Voivodeship

7/20/11

Stanisławów, Świętokrzyskie Voivodeship is, apparently, a village in Poland. Or, more accurately, Stanisławów is a village in the Świętokrzyskie Voivodeship (similar to a province) of Poland. I promise, I’ll try to keep the big scary foreign words to a minimum. As much as I can, anyway. Curiously enough, Stanisławów was itself once the name of a Voivodeship, which was taken over by the Soviets in World War Two and later incorporated into the Ukraine. Stanisławów was the name of the capital of this Voivodeship, though the name was changed to Ivano-Frankivsk after the takeover. I can only assume that Poland, disheartened by the loss of the city, renamed an existing village Stanisławów to serve as a replacement of sorts – the way you might name a new goldfish after the one that died last month.

It is curious, I will say, that Wikipedia has yet to give me a topic I’ve yet heard of (1862 aside, of course). I’m not saying that everything has to pertain directly to young, northeast-American teenage males, but I was rather hoping for topics that one could actually, well, write about. There’s only so much to be said about a small village in Poland (especially given that a Google search on the name yields results that all pertain to the village’s pre-WWII counterpart).

Is it cheating if roughly half of what I write on a given page is actually just meta-speak having more to do with the blog itself than the subject about which I am supposed to be writing? No. No, it is not.

No comments:

Post a Comment